Eating sugary desserts is not good for health, even if you are addicted to them. But you cannot stay without desserts. The only solution is sugar-free desserts.
These mouthwatering desserts are loaded with taste and flavors, and you will fail to differentiate them from the ones with sugar. However, the only difference is the former is healthy, which the latter is not.
Today I am going to make an almond cake with orange zest, figs, and almond flour. It is both sugar as well as gluten free.
Sugar-Free Desserts – Delicious Cake With Almond Flour And figs
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 50 minutes
- Almond flour – 2 cups
- Arrowroot powder – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – ¾ tsp
- Eggs – 5
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Honey – ½ cup
- Almond milk – 2 tbsp
- Almond extract – 1 tsp
- Orange zest – 3 tbsp
- Figs – 5 ounces, chopped
- Salt – a pinch
The Meringue Frosting
- Salt – a pinch
- Egg whites – 4
- Honey – 1/3 cup
- Start by preheating the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a round cake pan of 10 inches and grease it with coconut oil. Now sprinkle some arrowroot powder all over the pan.
- Take a large bowl and add the almond flour, salt, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well.
- In another bowl separate the five eggs. Beat the egg whites till it becomes stiff.
- In the egg yolks, mix the almond extract, orange zest, coconut oil, honey, and almond milk. Now pour this egg yolk mixture into the bowl of almond flour and mix with a spoon gently but properly.
- Now, tip the egg whites in it along with the chopped figs and give them a good mix. Your cake batter is ready. Pour it into the prepared cake pan and inset within the oven and let it bake for about 50 minutes. Make sure the cake is set completely.
- Take the pan out and put it within the fridge so that it cools completely. This almond cake is fragile when compared to normal cakes. So you should handle it with care.
Preparing The Frosting
- Take a bowl half-filled with water and put it on high heat. As the water starts to boil, put a smaller bowl on the boiling water and add the honey and egg white in it. Keep on stirring the mixture till the frosting starts to harden a bit, and the temperature of the water reaches 140-degree centigrade. Use a thermometer to make sure the temperature is at 140 degrees because the lower temperature will not give you the required texture of the frosting.
- When done, take the bowl out and using a hand mixer beat the honey and egg white mixture for a few minutes so that the peaks become stiffer.
- Now take the cake out of the fridge and apply a thin layer of the frosting first. Let it rest for a few minutes so that the frosting layers get set. When it is done, apply a second layer of frosting, and it should be thicker than the first one. Just wait for a few minutes before cutting the cake into slices.